The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center is seeking Pueblo artis to exhibit in our Artists Circle Gallery for the year 2020. Three artists will be selected to have a solo exhibition of 10-30 pieces for a 12-week period to both show and sell their artwork. If desired, artists may apply together for a collaborative show featuring collaborative works.
This Artists Circle Gallery is the first space visited by guests entering through our south entrance, and is often their first impression of the Cultural Center and Pueblo people. We feature living artists’ work to emphasize the growing and evolving history of Pueblo people. The gallery showcases living Pueblo artists’ current work, including both traditional and contemporary mediums and styles, ideally drawing connections between our cultures’ history and our continuous evolution into the future.
The space is a 680 square foot circle with a tall ceiling and an adjacent 58 square foot square room. This space features excellent natural light from flood windows above.
This gallery is designed not only to create opportunities for Pueblo artists to showcase their unique work, but to provide a market in support of the exhibiting artist. The IPCC will hold a 40% commission of all pieces sold during the show. This commission will be used by the IPCC to fund and perpetuate the program for future artists. The remaining 60% will be distributed to the artist as items are sold. If desired, the artist may also work with Shumakolowa Native Arts (our museum store) to produce print-on-demand merchandise to sell online in conjunction with their show. Merchandising agreements will be made between Shumakolowa and the Artist case by case.
- Work of all mediums may be submitted.
- Proof of state or federally recognized tribe – selection is Pueblo preference to meet IPCC Mission Standards.
- Artist must meet requirements of the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990.
- There is no fee to apply.
- Certificate of Indian Blood or proof of tribal membership from a state- or federally recognized tribe.
- Artist Biography – up to 200 words.
- Artist Statement – up to 500 words.
- (4–5) High-resolution photos or videos of work to be exhibited.
- Images can be uploaded at indianpueblo.com or burned onto a CD and mailed to IPCC (CD will not be returned).
- CDs must be labeled (with a permanent marker):
- Artist Name, Date, Tribe, and Medium
Deadlines for 2020 Shows
Notification of Acceptance:
October 2019 Mail-in submissions must be postmarked by September 30.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for future shows past deadline date.
Applications will be reviewed for the following year.
The following are guidelines used by committee members in the selection process. The judging criteria fall into two sections that will generate the overall score.
- 50% | Artist’s Statement — A well-written statement linking your work directly to Indian Pueblo cultural experience and/or relevance.
- This statement must outline how your work submitted relates to the 19 Pueblos of NewMexico.
- How does your proposed work support IPCC’s Mission: "To preserve and perpetuate Pueblo culture, and to advance understanding by presenting with dignity and respect theaccomplishments and evolving history of the Pueblo people of New Mexico."
- 50% | Creativity/Quality — Skilled use of design elements and how they relate to themes and subject matter.
- Use of techniques and medium.
If selected to exhibit in the Artists Circle Gallery, the following is a list of what can be expected between the IPCC and the selected artist.
The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center will provide:
- Collaboration on curation and installation.
- Marketing and promotions for exhibit.
- Collaboration opportuniy with Shumakolowa Native Arts to produce and sell merchandise.
- Opening Reception.
- Printed invitations.
- Travel stipend provided for Artist outside of 40-mile radius of IPCC for lectures and demonstrations.
- Stipend provided for demonstration.
- Monitor and care for artwork through duration of the show and handling of sales.
The Artist will provide:
- Artist bio, statement, photos that can be used for exhibit, invitations, and marketing content.
- Hardware for hanging and mounting oversized works.
- If desired, insurance on showcased artwork.
- Communication with IPCC staff on installation.
- Delivery and pickup of artwork before and after exhibit.
- Members-only lecture on artist’s work.
- Opportunity for public demonstration.
- Artist must be present at the opening reception.
If you're unable to complete the online form and prefer to print and mail your submission, download a printable PDF here. Please send completed application to:
Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
Attn: Curatorial Office
2401 12th St. NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104
Otherwise, please fill out the form below and submit your application online. For questions about submissions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org