English Pronunciation: "Hay-mess"
Traditional Name: Walatowa
I-25. 16 miles north of Albuquerque, exit 242, northwest 25 miles on NM 44, junction with NM 4 at San Ysidro,
4 miles northeast on NM 4.
575-834-7235 | www.jemezPueblo.com
The Pueblo of Jemez has a closed village policy due to the lack of tourism facilities and out of respect for the privacy of those who live there. The village is therefore open to the public only on Feast Days. The Pueblo now chooses to no longer allow these days to be publicized due to over capacity and for the reasons stated above. Visitors should go to the Walatowa Visitor Center which is open year round. Do not wander around the village. The recreation areas and arts and craft shows are open during the times and dates listed below.
Memorial Day Weekend:
Annual Jemez Red Rocks Arts & Crafts Show.
- Jemez Red Rocks 1st weekend in December.
- Walatowa Winter Arts & Crafts Show: Jemez Civic Center.
- Walatowa Visitor Center: Open seven days a week 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Trading Post Road, Jemez Pueblo, NM 87024. (505) 834-7235. The Center provides information, exhibits and a nature walk about the Cultural Heritage of the Pueblo of Jemez. The Center also offers visitor information and brochures about the natural and scenic attractions located along the Jemez Mountain Trail Scenic Byway and the Jemez Mountain National Recreation Area. The Museum shop features a selection of arts & crafts created by Jemez artisans.
- Other Pueblo of Jemez Programs: Walatowa Native Education Adventures Group Tour Program, Walatowa Ed-Ventures are available for tour operators and group leaders specializing in group travel. Let our professional Native American Guides make your group’s visit educational, informative, and a fun cultural experience!
- Contact Pueblo of Jemez, Department of Tourism, for information on group rates, reservations and suggested itineraries. Pueblo of Jemez, Department of Tourism, PO Box 100, Jemez Pueblo, NM 87024. (505) 834-7235.
Group Tour Packages Include:
- Walatowa Cultural Experience: Traditional Jemez foods, bread baking demonstrations, artist’s demonstration, traditional dance and storytelling.
- Walatowa Artisan Studio Tour: Visit Jemez artist’s studios and have lunch with the artists.
- Explore the wonders of the Jemez Mountains: Walatowa Visitor Center. Jemez State Monument, Soda Dam, Valle Grande and Bandelier National Monument.
- Fishing excursion at Holy Ghost: Fishing instruction or fly fishing techniques and a lakeside cookout.
Walatowa Recreation Areas:
- Holy Ghost & Dragon Fly Fishing Lakes Highway 44 23 miles northwest of San Ysidro.
Seasonal Weekends only sunrise to sunset April 1 – October 30
- Picnic Areas available
- Day Permit with 8 fish limit: Adult $8 Children $6 Senior Citizens $6 Rainbow Trout. Channel Catfish and Large Mouth Bass
- Call ahead to inquire. Contact Joe Cajero at (505) 834-7533 or Walatowa Visitor Center (505) 834-7235.
Jemez Red Rocks
- Every Weekend, weather permitting
- Featuring Jemez food vendors serving traditional foods, Arts & Crafts
- Call ahead to inquire. Contact Walatowa Visitor Center (505) 834-7235.
Walatowa Convenience Store
- Highway 4 north of Jemez Pueblo at the Jemez Red Rocks. Open daily 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Jemez pottery and souvenir items, tax-free cigarettes and Phillips 66 gasoline.